Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

I Tweeted

So, I took the plunge a couple of days ago and signed up for Twitter, after observing in the last year all these random hash-tag this and hash-tag that posts and advertisements that keep popping up. I figured, heck, I'll see what all the hoopla is about.

Frankly, I don't get it.

It seems Twitter is just a dumbed down version of Facebook, lacking in all of the primary features that make a social media site customizable and personal. I don't understand why I can follow a person or thing, yet I can't control what I see from them. Maybe I don't want to see the posts of others that they saw fit to share with the world. Re-tweets, I guess they're called. But why can't I at least delete things from my feed that I don't care to see?? That would seem to me to be a basic functionality that's lacking.

Now, to be fair, I had somewhat of an auspicious start on Twitter. I signed up initially on my iPhone, and apparently they were having difficulties that day, for anyone whom I chose to follow simply did not show up in my feed at all. I could go to their Twitter page and see their posts however, but this just made the experience more cumbersome. That is apparently fixed now.

To add to that, right after I made my historic first Tweet - some dumb nonsense about the weather - I immediately got a reply from someone I don't know who swore that this was my lucky day and that I could certainly be entitled to a free gift card with participation. Fortunately I figured out how to block that person, but their post still shows on my phone under the "@Connect" tab - and there's no way to delete it. Oddly, it doesn't show up there when I log on via an actual computer. So I'm left to wonder, is this just some sort of glitch?

Well, in any case these things did not leave a good first impression. And first impressions, as we all know, are of tantamount importance.

So, for the time being, I'm still on Twitter, and I'll tweet abut random nonsense from time to time. Though I'll still be wondering why I bother, because for the moment this fad seems completely inferior to Facebook. And rather pointless. Maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm just predisposed to hating new things.

Well, I do fear change...

No comments:

Post a Comment