Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Monday, October 2, 2017

October Is Here

Well here we are in the fall of 2017 already. It's October 2, Monday, and it's hard to believe so much of the years has gone by already. When was the last time I wrote, back in May? Before the summer? Yikes.

Well we had a good family summer trip to England. Mostly we visited family in Bristol, which is quite a nice little college town along a waterway. We spent the last three days of our trip in London, in order to be touristy, but honestly I think I would have enjoyed just staying in Bristol the whole time. Not to mention, three nights of hotels in London was more expensive than six nights in Bristol. And although they were both Travelodges, the Bristol one was nicer and roomier. Plus I made the mistake of not really planning anything in London. We were just going to play by ear and see where the mood takes us. Which would have been great, except we had a 3 year old toddler along. Not a good idea to not plan anything when those are your parameters. Still, we visited the Museum of London (which I highly recommend) and saw some of the original walls of London dating back to Roman times. And I got to see Book of Mormon on our last night, so that was pretty cool. But all vacations must end, and we came back to California to melt in the 100+ degree temperatures.

Thank God it's fall now. So it's only in the mid-80s...

But our fall semester is off and running. We had a slow start concert-wise, but this week there's three student recitals, a wind ensemble concert, a jazz combos recital, and a violin studio recital. Holy crap - 6 concerts in one week! Well, story of our lives here at Sac State. News flash - we're going to try something new and experimental in the spring: Saturday student recitals. Eek! I must be crazy. You'd think after 18 years, I'd give up trying to be innovative and just focus on keeping the ship afloat. Silly me.

I went bowling yesterday on a man-date. Anyone that knows me...oh wait, who really knows me? Well what I was going to say is, it's extremely, extremely rare for me to fraternize with what could be considered 'friends'. We introverts don't do that much. Or maybe it's just me. In any case, three games plus a plethora of beer and some suspiciously good (for a bowling alley) cheese fries, and I actually did much better than I had in a long time. I bowled a 171, 163 and 212. Best three game set I've had since I used to bowl in junior leagues in high school. You know, 25 years ago. A quarter of a century.

When did I get so old??

Well anyway, it's almost time to go pick Connor up from his grandparents house, and bring him back to Sac State so he can help me setup for tonight's violin studio recital. Then it's back home to the normal clockwork pattern of a 6:30pm bath, 7pm bedtime, and then time to watch some quality programming on TV. Incidentally, I recently finished watching the series Parks & Recreation. This month's selection: A Handmaid's Tale. Really deep, dystopian drama-type stuff there. More later...if I get around to writing again...

No comments:

Post a Comment