Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Monday, March 30, 2020

The Apocalypse: Week 2.5

So it's been 10 days since my first apocalyptic post. We're still here. Life is still trudging onward. Tonight is actually the evening before my 45th birthday. It doesn't really feel like it. Of course that's a small first-world problem, as the saying goes. I'm still healthy, I'm still getting a paycheck despite the majority of my workload being eliminated in recent weeks. So I have a lot to be thankful for, in these uncertain times. But it's definitely surreal, as birthday seasons go.

The earth is making out pretty well. There's been numerous stories smattered all over social media about the water and the air clearing up, the ozone layer repairing itself, and so on. One of my friends on Facebook remarked something to the effect that the earth is finally getting a breather. A break. A vacation from...us. Good for her, good for her. She needed it.

I'm sure we'll soon mount a resurgence and wreck it all again. It's what we're good at, after all.

Ironically, this week is (was?) our scheduled spring break at Sac State. We were already meant to be on vacation now. And now the whole world is on break. Connor would have still had school this week, so I probably would not have gone very far anyway. But I've been given to understand that air fares are really low right now. Though, where could we go? Everything everywhere is closed.

How long will this last? Hard to say. It seems like everyday there's a new announcement of some escalation of the situation. We haven't even waited long enough to see if social distancing worked. And now the national social distancing order from Der Fuhrer has been extended another month. Though they're supposed to start throwing peanuts at us soon, in the form of $1200 stimulus/relief checks. Again...if I was was someone who had lost my source of income from this mess, it would be both an insult and a saving grace.

But hey, who's going to turn down free money?

In the meantime, tomorrow I'll wake up and likely start seeing the annual barrage of Happy Birthday notices on Facebook as I slowly age onward. Should be a hoot. I'll probably make cupcakes for myself and Connor. Maybe we'll ride our bikes to the donut shop for a freshly baked breakfast treat. Because, well, they're still open. And we'll see what new directives might be thrown our way from our trusty government overlords.

Woohoo birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment