Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Are We Having Fun Yet?

No. No we are not.

I could have ended this post right there. I'm pretty sure everyone would get it. And they'd agree. But for posterity's sake, or to remind me decades from now when I'm partially senile and reliving my "youth" through this blog, I'll elaborate. 

This year has been. Just awful. People were looking forward to this year for quite some time. The return of the 20's! A century ago it was synonymous with good times, economic prosperity, and cultural growth and enlightenment. And now? Covid-19, race riots, and fires. Oh my. At least, today, the smoke has cleared from the air here in the valley, and we can breathe again.

Also, I'm moving this weekend. And it 's supposed to be over 105 degrees. Sigh. Can't catch a break.

Meanwhile, public school has just about finished its third week and Sac State has just about finished its first. All online. Or mostly online, in the case of Sac State. But these poor kids in grade school! Online schooling is simply not an effective way to teach. I mean, I have to applaud the teachers who are clearly working very hard to make the best of a miserable situation. But teaching 20 or more kids online...it just doesn't work. The pacing is taken way down due to the myriad of problems with the technology, the students are incredibly distracted by whatever environment they happen to be in, and they don't get the instant feedback that they would in an actual classroom; nor can the teacher really see how they are doing on their assignments. At least, not in real time anyway. But taking a picture of your daily work and submitting it online after the fact just isn't the same. 

But the teachers are trying The kids are trying. The parents are trying. And everyone, I think, is exhausted. I know I am. I'm ready for this year to be over. At least it's already September. Life has been shut down since March,. Nearly half a year, gone. Maybe we can get a do-over, Wouldn't that be nice?

Meanwhile, at Sac State, the staff is limited to 20 hours in house per week. To be honest it's been somewhat helpful in having to work around Connor's school schedule.  And it's...dead there. Usually the first week is bustling with activity. This week I think I've seen maybe 8 students. All week. It will probably pick up a little, and of course it will be busy when we start doing "concerts". With no audiences. But this is not the experience anyone signed up - and paid - for.

Can we get back to normal soon? That's what we're all wishing, I suspect. I can't keep writing anymore about this now; it's late, I'm tired, and my laundry has just finished running. Fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment