Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Day 4

So, it's Wednesday, and the 4th day in my new apartment. The cats have finally settled in; at least they're not hiding in the closet anymore, so that's a bonus. It's been something of an adventure in downsizing, after being used to a large house for so many years. I...got rid of lots of stuff. And I still have...lots of stuff. Most of which is in a 10x10 storage unit at a secret undisclosed location. Actually it's at Public Storage, 

The move was, as moves tend to be, an exhausting and unpleasant experience. It was compounded by the fact that the weather decided to throw temperatures at us approaching 110 degrees. Just for the two days I was moving. Someone up there doesn't like me, or at least has a poor sense of humor at my expense. Fortunately my brother and his wife and middle child helped with the moving experience, which was invaluable in making it just a little more bearable. Thank goodness for family! I might have died otherwise. In any case, we were able to do small stuff on the first day and large stuff on the second, both days finishing before noon. So the move has been about as smooth as can be expected, I suppose.

So today I'm working from home, as we're still limited to 20 hours per week onsite at Sac State. I also managed to sneak in a haircut today. You sure take little things like haircuts for granted when they're forcibly closed due to a raging pandemic. But, thank goodness, the hair salons reopened last week. And just like it was the last time they reopened after being forcibly closed, the wait time wasn't too bad. If you got there right when they opened. On a weekday. Wait till the afternoon and you'd likely see 2-3 hour waits, if they were even still taking names. It's almost noon now, and they're showing an 85-minute wait online.

So I'm at home, as I mentioned, currently having my brain rattled around by the obnoxiously loud leaf blower outside. Churning up all the pine needles, garbage, and ash that litter the parking lot. Yes, California is still on fire. We can't catch a break! So there's ash, ash, ash everywhere. Hopefully it's not all blowing on my car. One of the biggest things I already miss from my house is having a garage.

This new area is not so bad, actually. It's a ten-minute walk to two different (and nice) parks, one of which boarders the bike trail that runs from San Juan to Garden Highway, and Discovery Park. At least I think it goes that far. Guess I'll have to take my bike and go find out. If it hasn't been stolen from my balcony. It will be nice to explore a new area though. An adventure. I keep telling myself that, to look for a positive in this whole downsizing situation. In a few months, perhaps, I'll start looking to see what I might be able to afford in terms of a home purchase. This place is just a transition, after all. Or that's the idea, the grand plan, anyway, 

So, Day 4. Yeah. And life goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment