Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year’s Eve

Well, here I am on another New Year's Eve, doing pretty much the same thing I do every New Year's Eve: drinking (wine) while binge watching old TV dramas on Netflix (Grey's Anatomy). Connor is running around in his Halloween costume (Dash from Incredibles) handing out Easter eggs filled with chocolate coins and cat toys. He's an odd kid.

I was never a celebrator of New Year's Eve. I never saw the point of it. When it boils down to it, it's just another day, another night, the start of another month. True, we have to change the '8' to '9' in our dates starting tomorrow, but most of us won't remember to do that for at least another month. And why this day? Why does the calendar not run February through January? Why not use the winter solstice as your excuse to start anew and throw a party while doing it?

There was once a time when I did something fun for New Year's. In the late 90s I did a few years in a row at Disneyland. But it was more of an excuse for a vacation and some special end of year merchandise purchases than a celebration of a "holiday". The fireworks were cool though. The crowds were annoying.

I guess I'm just a cynic. People I know will be out celebrating and partying and wishing each other a Happy New Year. They'll all be having a joyously fun time. I'll see it all on Facebook I'm sure. Meanwhile I'll be sitting here watching people on TV struggle for their lives and sometimes die. Just like any other day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment