Welcome to Glenn's Blog!

Here I will periodically post random thoughts and stories about what's going on in my life and the world around me. As if anyone cared. But seriously, you've found your way here, so hopefully you will enjoy at least some of what I have to say, even if you aren't entirely interested in it. At the least, it should be a good way to waste time.

Monday, February 10, 2020

Whoosh. And rant.

Do you ever feel like you go to bed one night, and it's somewhere in the middle of the Christmas season, and then you wake up and it's the middle of February? Whoosh! Time just flew right by you. Hours and days and weeks have just flown by. Well anyway, here we are in February already. It's Monday at work, and it feels like I've been here forever.

Yesterday I went to the bar at Chili's and tried their $5 margarita of the month. This is a picture of it. Doesn't it look tasty? It was, it was. I had two. And also chips and salsa. Oh and some boneless chicken wings. Yum. This month it's called the "Hearts on Fire 'Rita". According to their website, it contains Maker's Mark Bourbon, Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, and Lunazul Blanco Tequila, along with grenadine and Chili's sour.

Anyways. Time for a rant, because why not?

I've recently been considering upgrading my personal computing situation. I've been using desktop computers for, well, ever, it seems. And I've been thinking about migrating over to a laptop platform. I used to use the desktop platforms because a) they were cheaper, and b) the larger screen made it easier for doing composing-type activities. Which, frankly, I'm just not too inspired to do anymore. Plus I'll need to move at some point this year, most likely downgrading in size substantially, so it may not be functional for me to dedicate space at home for a desktop setup anymore. And to be honest, having only one spot where you can work on your computer is something of a drag. So, yeah, I've been looking at Mac laptops.

First of all. They're expensive. Like, you need to donate a kidney to afford them expensive. And to add insult to injury: Apple removed all of its functional ports and replaced them with Thunderbolt ports. And nothing else. This actually happened, I think, back in late 2016. That's how much I pay attention. Here's the thing - there's NOTHING that natively plugs into thunderbolt ports. Except for Apple's even more obscenely expensive Pro Display, if you're into that sort of thing and can sell your first-born child to afford it. The most recent Thunderbolt 3 at least will accept USB-C connections. So that's something. But get this, even Apple's own celebrated and massively popular iPhone won't plug into their laptops, without buying another connector cable or an adapter. Sorry, but removing all USB-A type ports from their laptops, not to mention SD card slots, seems like just a clever way to force you to buy more adapters and cables. A sort of "screw you" to the consumer. As if it wasn't enough that you paid $2000-3000 for their laptop, now you also have to buy an adapter to actually plug any of your peripherals into your laptop to use them. Like you used to when the MacBook Pros actually had these connections built in.

Sigh. Rant over.

So, to be realistic, I'll probably eventually succumb to my own internalized peer pressure and buy a new 15-16" MacBook Pro. And an adapter off of Amazon so I can actually use it the way I want. That will come later this year, likely after I've moved and settled in somewhere new. And then I can retire my late-2014 model Mini.

So yeah, here we are in the second week of February already. It's not my week with Connor but I'll get him back Thursday evening to take him to basketball practice. And then he'll be my Valentine's date. So there's something to look forward to. And...whoosh! Time has flown by and it's about time to pack up and head for home.

4 comments:

  1. Or for a fraction of the price you can buy a Windows laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh barf. But I wouldn't be able to sync my contacts or calendar or music or photos or have access to things like iMovie which I use for making YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenn,
    My name is Justice Henderson and I work for the Chili's PR team! We got wind of your blog. We are sorry to hear about your computer!
    We would love to send something your way for your next visit to Chili's. Could you please shoot me an email at justice.henderson@brinker.com

    ReplyDelete